Once again, one of the emails I get from a good friend caught my attention, so I actually took time to read it. The email simply contained a photo of a news item dated Friday, November 4, 1949.
I did a little research online and found that the news item is true. Even the liberally run and biased Snopes reported that it was true, which greatly surprised me.
So, here is what the news item said, including a political poem:
ODE TO THE WELFARE STATE
Trending: …and the Pulpits Are Silent
Mr. Truman’s St. Paul, Minn., pie-for-everybody speech last night reminded us that, at the tail-end of the recent session of Congress, Representative Clarence J. Brown (R-Ohio) jammed into the Congressional Record the following poem, describing its author only as ‘a prominent Democrat of the State of Georgia”:
Father, must I go to work?
No, my lucky son.
We’re living now on Easy Street
On dough from Washington.
We’ve left it up to Uncle Sam,
So, don’t get exercised.
Nobody has to give a damn—
We’ve all been subsidized.
But if Sam treats us all so well
And feeds us milk and honey,
Please, daddy, tell me what the hell
He’s going to use for money.
Don’t worry, bub, there’s not a hitch
In this here noble plan—
He simply soaks the filthy rich
And helps the common man.
But, father, won’t there come a time
When they run out of cash
And we have left them not a dime
When things will go to smash?
My faith in you is shrinking, son,
You nosy little brat;
You do too damn much thinking, son,
To be a Democrat.
This was written nearly 70-years ago and yet it is exactly what is happening with today’s Democrats.
First, the Democrats want to repeal the Republican tax cuts for corporations. Somehow, they think that such tax cuts ONLY benefitted the wealthy, but tell that to the millions of Americans who now have jobs and those who have more pay and benefits. Removing the corporate tax cuts will ONLY result in lost jobs, less benefits and cuts in hours of other workers. What happens when so many people are either out of work or have their hours and pay cut by as much as 25%? It means less money for them to spend on food, housing and things. The less of these that are purchased means the markets slow down and what happens when the markets slow down? Even more workers have their hours or their jobs cuts, which further hurts the economy.
Democrats also want to raise estate taxes on the very wealthy as high as 70%. That means that many of these very wealthy who die, will have their estates (including the companies they own) go to the government instead of their rightful heirs. What happens when the government owns a business? The business is usually ruined and destroyed and more people lose their jobs.
Then the Democrats want to personally tax the wealthy by as much as 90%. Imagine if you worked hard for years, building a thriving business and you want to leave it to your children. To begin with, under the Democrats’ plan, you won’t be able to build up a thriving and profitable business because the government will be taxing you up to 90% of your net value, leaving you and your heirs with only 10% of what you worked hard to earn.
Think about it. God only asked for 10%, not 90% of what people grew, raised or earned. But then, socialist Democrats not only don’t believe in the God of the Bible, but they feel that they are the only gods we need.
What the Democrats are doing can have only one end result and that is the completely economic collapse of America, which many feel is exactly what they want. If America’s economy collapses, causing a national emergency, the country then is ripe to be harvested by the power greedy socialists and America will join the ranks of Russia, China, North Korea and Venezuela.
Just think, that poem written nearly 70-years-ago is so true today, but those in power fail to see or heed the warning.