H/T Atlas Obscura.
John Poole’s house has served many functions over the years.
Dating to 1793, this is the oldest building in Poolesville.
THE JOHN POOLE HOUSE SERVED as a trading post for local farmers and traveling merchants when it opened in 1793. By 1810, it also functioned as a United States Post Office. The framed portion to the right of the log cabin was added in 1866 and includes an artist studio and the Historic Medley District’s office. Poole was born in 1769 and died in 1828.
The grounds are also home to the E.L. Stock, Jr. Memorial Arboretum. This includes a collection of trees, bushes, and flowers that were indigenous to the area during the mid-19th century. The arboretum is named for Edward L. Stock, Jr., a Cornell graduate who returned to the area to open a nursery. His daughter served as a docent at the John Poole House and curated the arboretum.
The John Poole House also includes a display of Civil War artifacts and a general store that acts as a gift shop.